Current:Home > NewsAlec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins -消息
Alec Baldwin Pleads Not Guilty to Involuntary Manslaughter in Rust Shooting of Halyna Hutchins
Poinbank Exchange View
Date:2025-04-07 06:55:42
Alec Baldwin has pleaded not guilty to involuntary manslaughter in the fatal shooting of cinematographer Halyna Hutchins on the set of their film Rust.
The actor, who previously denied any wrongdoing in connection with her 2021 death, entered his plea in a Feb. 23 filing at a court in Santa Fe, N.M., more than three weeks after he and set armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed were formally charged with involuntary manslaughter.
The armorer's lawyer told The New York Times she planned to plead not guilty at a virtual hearing scheduled Feb. 24. Previously, assistant director David Halls, signed a plea deal over the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon in connection with the fatal shooting and was given six months of probation.
The Santa Fe County district attorney's office had alleged in a Feb. 7 statement that that Hutchins "died because of gross negligence and a reckless disregard for safety on the Rust film set." The 42-year-old was killed by a lead projectile that was fired from a vintage .45 Colt revolver used as a prop, which Baldwin had been holding while rehearsing for the movie.
He told ABC News in 2021 that while he cocked the gun, "The trigger wasn't pulled. I didn't pull the trigger."
The Departed actor's not guilty plea comes less than a week after prosecutors dropped a five-year gun enhancement attached to his and Gutierrez-Reed's charges, following a filing from his attorneys. This reduces any possible prison sentences, should they be convicted, to a maximum of 18 months in prison, according to The New York Times.
In addition to their criminal charges, Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed are also named in a civil lawsuit filed by Hutchins' Ukraine-based parents and sister, who allege battery, negligence, intentional infliction of emotional distress and loss of consortium in connection with the cinematographer's death. The actor and armorer have not commented on the civil case.
Baldwin had previously been named in a wrongful death lawsuit that Hutchins' husband Matthew Hutchins, father of their son Andros, 10, filed in 2022. The case was dismissed when without any admission of wrongdoing after the parties reached a settlement.
Matthew later said in a statement that filming on Rust will resume with himself as an executive producer. Earlier this month, it was announced production on the film would begin again in the spring, with Baldwin in tow.
"The production will continue to utilize union crew members and will bar any use of working weapons and any form of ammunition," a press release stated. "Live ammunition is—and always was—prohibited on set."
For the latest breaking news updates, click here to download the E! News AppveryGood! (32573)
Related
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Officials identify remains found at Indiana farm in 1983 as Chicago teen slain by late serial killer
- The NPR Culture Desk shares our favorite stories of 2022
- An ode to cribbage, the game that taught me a new (love) language
- Sonya Massey's father decries possible release of former deputy charged with her death
- Sheryl Lee Ralph opens up about when her son was shot: 'I collapsed and dropped the phone'
- Gynecologist who sexually abused dozens of patients is sentenced to 20 years in prison
- Work from home as a drive-thru employee? How remote blue-collar jobs are catching on
- Jamie Foxx gets stitches after a glass is thrown at him during dinner in Beverly Hills
- Athletic trainers save lives. But an alarming number of high schools don't employ them
Ranking
- The FTC says 'gamified' online job scams by WhatsApp and text on the rise. What to know.
- LeBron James' 18-Year-Old Son Bronny James Suffers Cardiac Arrest During Workout at USC
- Venice International Film Festival's 2023 lineup includes Woody Allen, Roman Polanski
- Here are nine NYC shows we can't wait to see this spring
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Harvey Weinstein found guilty on 3 of 7 charges in Los Angeles
- Bronny James, LeBron James' son, suffers cardiac arrest during USC practice. Here's what we know so far.
- Former Georgia linebacker Adam Anderson receives one-year sentence for sexual battery
Recommendation
Taylor Swift Eras Archive site launches on singer's 35th birthday. What is it?
What's making us happy: A guide to your weekend viewing and listening
Finding (and losing) yourself backcountry snowboarding
Damar Hamlin, Magic Johnson and More Send Support to Bronny James After Cardiac Arrest
California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
Snoop Dogg brings his NFT into real life with new ice cream line available in select Walmart stores
Three found dead at campsite were members of Colorado Springs family who planned to live ‘off grid’
Author Jerry Craft: Most kids cheer for the heroes to succeed no matter who they are