Current:Home > ScamsNevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case -消息
Nevada attorney general revives 2020 fake electors case
Indexbit Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:40:09
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A slate of six Nevada Republicans have again been charged with submitting a bogus certificate to Congressthat declared Donald Trump the winner of the presidential battleground’s 2020 election.
Nevada Attorney General Aaron Ford announced Thursday that the state’s fake electors casehad been revived in Carson City, the capital, where he filed a new complaint this week charging the defendants with “uttering a forged instrument,” a felony. The original indictment was dismissed earlier this yearafter a state judge ruled that Clark County, the state’s most populous county and home to Las Vegas, was the wrong venue for the case.
Ford, a Democrat, said the new case was filed as a precaution to avoid the statute of limitations expiring while the Nevada Supreme Court weighs his appeal of the judge’s ruling.
“While we disagree with the finding of improper venue and will continue to seek to overturn it, we are preserving our legal rights in order to ensure that these fake electors do not escape justice,” Ford said. “The actions the fake electors undertook in 2020 violated Nevada criminal law and were direct attempts to both sow doubt in our democracy and undermine the results of a free and fair election. Justice requires that these actions not go unpunished.”
Officials have said it was part of a larger scheme across seven battleground states to keep Trump in the White House after losing to Democrat Joe Biden. Criminal cases have also been brought in Michigan, Georgiaand Arizona.
Trump lost in 2020to Biden by more than 30,000 votes in Nevada. An investigation by then-Nevada Secretary of State Barbara Cegavske, a Republican, found no credible evidence of widespread voter fraud in the state.
The defendants are state GOP chair Michael McDonald; Clark County GOP chair Jesse Law; national party committee member Jim DeGraffenreid; national and Douglas County committee member Shawn Meehan; Storey County clerk Jim Hindle; and Eileen Rice, a party member from the Lake Tahoe area.
In an emailed statement to The Associated Press, McDonald’s attorney, Richard Wright, called the new complaint a political move by a Democratic state attorney general who also announced Thursday he plans to run for governor in 2026.
“We will withhold further comment and address the issues in court,” said Wright, who has spoken often in court on behalf of all six defendants.
Attorneys for the others did not immediately respond to emails seeking comment.
Their lawyers previously argued that Ford improperly brought the case before a grand jury in Democratic-leaning Las Vegas instead of in a northern Nevada city, where the alleged crimes occurred.
___
Associated Press writer Ken Ritter in Las Vegas contributed to this report.
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (274)
Related
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- This week on Sunday Morning (January 7)
- Georgia governor names Waffle House executive to lead State Election Board
- Belarus’ authoritarian leader tightens control over the country’s religious groups
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- Baby-Sitters Club Actor Christian Oliver and His 2 Young Daughters Killed in Caribbean Plane Crash
- WIC helps moms and kids eat. But finding what you need isn’t always easy
- Louisiana father discovers clues in his daughter's suspicious death on a digital camera
- San Francisco names street for Associated Press photographer who captured the iconic Iwo Jima photo
- The teacher shot by a 6-year-old still worries, a year later, about the other students in the room
Ranking
- Spooky or not? Some Choa Chu Kang residents say community garden resembles cemetery
- UN humanitarian chief calls Gaza ‘uninhabitable’ 3 months into Israel-Hamas war
- The U.S. northeast is preparing for a weekend storm that threatens to dump snow, rain, and ice
- Maui’s mayor says Lahaina debris site will be used temporarily until a permanent spot is found
- Federal court filings allege official committed perjury in lawsuit tied to Louisiana grain terminal
- Hailey Bieber Shares Cheeky Glimpse Into Tropical Holiday Vacation With Husband Justin Bieber
- 'Love is Blind' contestant Renee Poche sues Netflix, says she 'felt like a prisoner' while filming show
- Jesse Palmer Rushes Home From Golden Wedding as Wife Emely Fardo Prepares to Give Birth
Recommendation
EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
New Mexico attorney general says fake GOP electors can’t be prosecuted, recommends changes
New Mexico attorney general says fake GOP electors can’t be prosecuted, recommends changes
Stanley cups have people flooding stores and buying out shops. What made them so popular?
Jamie Foxx reps say actor was hit in face by a glass at birthday dinner, needed stitches
B-1 bomber crashes while trying to land at its base in South Dakota, Air Force says
Texas father and son arrested in the killings of a pregnant woman and her boyfriend face new charges
Will Gypsy Rose Blanchard Watch Joey King's The Act? She Says...